The quiz bowl contests provide an opportunity for youth enrolled in 4-H projects to demonstrate their knowledge on a specific subject matter in a competitive setting where attitudes of friendliness, cooperation, and fairness prevail. Quiz bowl guidelines can be adapted and used for any 4-H project or officer training, or as a tool to teach knowledge and skills about 4-H in general.
A quiz bowl is not meant to be a memorization process, in that members only study questions and know the
answers to those questions. It is a motivational tool to provide a FUN way to encourage members to learn project information.
Quiz bowls teach such life skills as self-discipline, observation, listening, and making and defending decisions.
They teach members to:
• Develop reasoning and critical-thinking abilities;
• Make sound decisions;
• Improve their personal skills;
• Develop quick and accurate powers of observation;
• Express themselves concisely;
• Develop poise, self-discipline and self-confidence;
• Develop project knowledge and skills; and
• Participate as a member of a team, thus developing cooperation and teamwork among project members.