To start off 2021, I thought it would be fun to look back at the most popular blog posts and podcast episodes from the past year.
I want to thank all of you for reading this blog and supporting my program. I really enjoy the work I get to do, and I always appreciate your kind words about how the information we put out have been helpful to you and your family. I’m looking forward to continuing the blog and podcast in 2021! I hope you will continue to follow along and will share both of these resources with your friends. Happy New Year!
Top 5 Blog Posts
We are almost 8 years into the Texas Agriculture Law Blog and it remains a real joy for me to get to write these posts.
1. TX Supreme Court Sides with Bull Owner in Fence Law Case: This was far and away the most popular blog post of the year with over 41,000 page views. Learn about an important decision involving the standard applicable if livestock is hit on a State or US highway in a county with a local stock law.
2. TX Supreme Court Holds Farm Animal Liability Act Inapplicable to Ranchers and Ranch Hands: This was a really surprising opinion related to the scope of the Texas Farm Animal Liability Act.
3. 2020 Rural Land Value Trends Report: The Rural Land Value Trends publication is full of interesting and useful information for Texas landowners. From average sales prices to average lease rates to interesting articles on a variety of topics, this is a report all Texas landowners should take time to review.
4. TX Supreme Court Reverses Ruling for Landowner in Easement Width Case: This case has the potential to impact numerous landowners and addresses the issue of blanket easements and the impact (actually, lack thereof) of historic use on the width of these easements.
5. Transferring Property Prior to Death: Pros, Cons, & Alternatives: I am not surprised to see this post on the list as it was the sheer number of questions on this topic that led me to write it in the first place. Learn about some considerations with regard to when might be the best time to transfer property.
Top 5 Podcast Episodes
It has been a big year for the Ag Law in the Field Podcast as we have seen download numbers greatly increase this year. Thank you all for sharing this with your friends and family! We are looking forward to 2021, where we will hit episode #100, and I have a special guest planned to celebrate that milestone.
1. John McFarland (Episode #86 – Oil and Gas Royalties): Oil and gas is big money in Texas, and John McFarland is unquestionably an expert on this topic!
2. Garrett Couts (Episode #73 – Transfer on Death Deeds v. Lady Bird Deeds): This topic ties into the Transferring Property blog post and it is one that I think a lot of Texas residents overlook. I think it is really important to take a moment to educate yourself on these types of deeds and consider whether they may be useful in your own situation.
3. Pat Dillon (Episode #71 – Capital Gains Taxes and Agriculture): One caveat here…the sound in this episode is not up to par. However, Pat Dillon is such a great guest, and the topic of capital gains tax is so important that clearly folks overlooked the technical issue.
4. Victoria Whitehead (Episode #72 – Groundwater Conservation Districts): Seeing a water-related topic on this list was certainly not surprising. This is a great episode explaining the role of Groundwater Conservation Districts in Texas.
5. Cassie Gresham (Episode #75 – Special Use Tax Valuation): Texas landowners have a lot of questions related to special use tax valuation and Cassie Gresham brought all the answers! This episode is great for any landowner or potential landowner to brush up on the basics of this extremely important topic.