It is that time again for graduating seniors to start applying for college and filling out scholarships! Seniors need to apply for their colleges/universities NOW! Acceptance for some schools will come as early as November. It is better on a scholarship to have been accepted already to a school. So apply NOW for school!
Scholarships are also starting to come open and ready for applications. Make sure and watch the newsletter and the Bell County 4-H Website for those scholarship application deadlines. It is always being updated with new scholarships and deadlines.
TEXAS 4-H SCHOLARSHIP TRAINING
On Saturday, November 18th, there will be a Texas 4-H Scholarship Training from 8:30 – 3:30 on the Texas A&M Campus in College Station. This is a great opportunity for 4-H members grades 10-12! Cost is $20 per person but includes training packet, refreshments, and lunch. Registration deadline is November 15th through 4-H Connect. For questions, contact t-Lepley@tamu.edu.
Below you will find the guidelines and application for the 2018 Blackland Income Growth Scholarship. Applications must be postmarked by Wednesday, November 15, 2017 and mailed to the District 8 office in Stephenville.
- There will be ten (10) Blackland Income Growth scholarships awarded for the amount of $1000 each.
- There will be one (1) Scott Felton Blackland Income Growth scholarship awarded for the amount of $1500. Consideration will be given to applicants planning to study agribusiness. Major will be verified at the time of payment.
- There will be one (1) Ronald C. Woolley Blackland Income Growth scholarship awarded for the amount of $1500. Consideration will be given to applicants planning to study agriculture. Major will be verified at the time of payment.
- The same application will be used for both scholarships.
- Recipients will not be eligible to receive both the BIG & Scott Felton BIG scholarships.
Please review the first two pages of the attached guidelines for the specific eligibility requirements and dates. The recipients must attend the BIG Conference on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at the Extraco Events Center in Waco to receive the scholarship award.
The guidelines and application are posted on the BIG page at the following link:
Bell County 4-H Scholarship
Bell County 4-H is excited to release the 2017 Bell County 4-H Scholarship Application. Application deadline in Bell County Extension Office (not postmarked) by March 1, 2017. Not late applications will be accepted.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in Bell County 4-H.
- Applicants must have completed at least 3 years as a 4-H member in Bell County.
- Applicants must be a graduating Senior of a Bell County high school or equivalent and attend college, vocational, or technical school in the 2017 fall semester.
- Applicants must complete application and essay. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Application must be typed, font no smaller than 12 pt. Essay must be typed, double spaced, font no smaller than 12 pt. and two pages maximum.
- Applicants must have applied to an accredited university, college or technical school. Any major is acceptable.
- Sealed high school transcript/scholastic record must be attached to the application.
- Application must include two (2) letters of recommendations. Letters cannot be from family members.
- Must stay in within the space allotted.
District 8 TAE4-HA Scholarship
District 8 TAE4-HA is happy to release the 2017 D8 TAE4-HA Scholarship Application.
- Applications are due May 15, 2017 to the Erath County Extension Office.
- The application is open to 4-H members in District 8 that will be graduating high school this 4-H year.
- Recipients will be selected after the announcement of the Texas 4-H Opportunity Scholarship recipients.
- 4-H members that do not receive the Texas 4-H Opportunity Scholarship will be considered for selection.
The application is also posted on the D8 4-H website on the Scholarships page.
Bell County Youth Fair Scholarship
For scholarship consideration, you must:
- Be a high school senior for 2016-2017.
- Be a participant of the 2016 Bell County Youth Fair and Livestock Show, plus have participated in the fair a minimum of one other year.
- Be eligible to attend a two-or four-year College, university or technical school as a full time student (12 hours per semester) for the 2016-2017 school year.
- Complete this scholarship application form and submit it to the Bell County Extension Office, Attn: BCYF Scholarship Program, 1605 North Main, Room 102, Belton, TX 76513 by 5:00 p.m. on April 8, 2016. Any applications received after 5:00 p.m. April 8, 2016 will not be considered.
Click Here for the 2017 BCYF Scholarship Letter and Application- Due April 7, 2017
Texas Extension Education Association Scholarship
1. Postmarked on or before February 15, submit to the county AgriLife Extension office in a manila envelope:
- Envelope labeled with the applicant’s name and county.
- Only a black and white copy of Texas 4-H Recordbook from the previous year’s Texas 4-H Recordbook judging deadline of August 31 accepted.
- Official high school transcript with ACT and/or SAT scores included.
- Completed TEEA 4-H Scholarship Application.
- Two letters of recommendation: one from a county Extension agent or 4-H club manager and one from a teacher, employer, or community leader (not a relative).
2. If the applicant wants these materials returned, include a postage-paid, self-addressed envelope and letter of request.
In addition to the TEEA requirements, Bell County Extension Education Association requests you to provide the following:
- Provide an extra official transcript
- Provide an essay that covers the following topics:
- Why do you think you should be considered for a TEEA Scholarship?
- How can you benefit from a TEEA Scholarship?
- Complete the table on the next page.
All the new items will be placed in the envelope like the other items for judging.
Postmarked on or before February 15, submit to the county AgriLife Extension office in a manila envelope
Texas 4-H Foundation Scholarships
2017 TEXAS 4-H AND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS
ONLINE SCHOLARSHIP WORKSHOP – THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2016
The Texas 4-H and Youth Development Program and the Texas 4-H Youth Development Foundation is once again pleased to offer to our senior high school 4-H members and current college students the opportunity to apply for an Opportunity Scholarship through the Texas 4-H Program.
The application and the instructions are separate documents for easier completion and direction. The application form is being offered in Microsoft Word edition.
What is new :
- A 4-H member can apply for a Texas 4-H, Texas FFA, and Texas FCCLA scholarships
- Scholarships will be presented over three nights at the 2016 Texas 4-H Roundup. Applicants, if receiving a scholarship(s) will be told what group of scholarship they will be receiving and what night(s) to be present. With the pre-notification of scholarship groups 4-H members will be able to be recognized at end-of-year school assemblies and ceremonies as a scholarship honoree.
- Due to an continued increase in incomplete and the incorrect completion of the scholarship applications from applicants, any incomplete or incorrect application submitted will not be considered. It is the responsibility of the 4-H member and parent/guardian to ensure all information is correct and complete prior to submitting. Absolutely no follow up or updates will be allowed once submitted.
Due dates and deadlines for 2017 Scholarship process are as follows
October, 2016 Release of 2017 Application
November – January Scholarship Trainings
November – December Applicant complete FAFSA and receive report
January 20, 2017 1st Draft application due to County Office
February 3, 2017 Applications due to District Office
February 17, 2017 Applications due to State 4-H Office
April 14, 2017 Interview selection notification
April 29 – May 1, 2017 Interviews (College Station, TX)
June 6, 7, & 8, 2017 Awards Assemblies/Banquets (College Station, TX)
Requirements for the Baccalaureate, Technical, and Courageous Heart Scholarships
All applications MUST meet the minimum requirements/criteria to even be considered for judging (see guidelines for complete details). Those applications not meeting the requirements should not be submitted to the county Extension Office and/or Agent.
Below are the following documents
- 2017 Texas 4-H Opportunity Scholarship Application Application for 4-H members to complete for Baccalaureate, Technical, and Courageous Heart
- 2017 Texas 4-H Collegiate Scholarship Application Application for former 4-H members who are currently in college.
- 2017 Texas 4-H Scholarship Rules and Guidelines Instructions for complete the Scholarship Application
- 2017 Scholarship Examples Examples of how to format scholarship application
- FAFSA Instructions FAFSA Instructions!!! MUST READ BEFORE NOVEMBER/DECEMBER OF APPLYING!
Please refer to the instructions for a complete and detailed list of the requirements, scoring values, and selection process.
All applications, instructions, and an on-line training module are available through the Texas 4-H and Youth Development website at http://texas4-h.tamu.edu (Youth -> Scholarships).
When it comes to GPAs and SAT/ACT scores…..
- Make sure the counselor completes the form (page 2 of application) with an UNWEIGHTED GPA on a 100-point scale.
- This GPA must match the transcript’s GPA!
- (If the school counselor cannot or will not write on the transcript the unweighted GPA on a 100-point scale, they can hand-figure the GPA and attach a letter to the transcript with this information.)
- The official SAT/ACT test scores must be received by the application deadline and included on the transcript or enclose a copy of the SAT/ACT report.
Examples of Texas 4-H Opportunity Scholarships:
FAFSA Information for Texas 4-H Scholarship
Some of their high school counselors may tell you that they cannot complete the FAFSA until January. That is not entirely correct. They will have to update their FAFSA information after the new application is released in January, if they want accurate information for them to begin college in the fall of 2016.
However, for the 4-H scholarship application, you must have the FAFSA completed by the deadline. If you wait until January to complete the FAFSA, there will not be enough time to get your taxes complete, complete the FAFSA (which is based on your federal income tax return) and then get a returned Student Aid Report (SAR) to include with the application by the deadline.
Below is a “FAFSA Supplement” that you may also find helpful when sharing 4-H Opportunity Scholarship information: FAFSA Supplement
State Fair of Texas Scholarship
Youth Livestock Scholarships
Eligible high school seniors should note that these scholarships are for in-state schools only. No out-of-state scholarships are offered by the State Fair of Texas.
Established in 1992, the State Fair of Texas Scholarship Program has awarded approximately $3 million in new and renewed scholarships. The fund is open to eligible high school seniors from around the state who participate in State Fair livestock shows. Yearly renewals may be awarded to students who exhibit high scholastic achievement. A cumulative 3.0 college GPA is the minimum standard for a renewal. Renewals will not be made for more than four years total or past undergraduate graduation.
Click here to fill out an application – Due by February 15, 2016.
TNLA Grow Texas Scholarships
The TNLA is offering two scholarships opportunities that 4-H members may be eligible for.
The Grow Texas and the TNLA Education and Research Foundation scholarship information is listed below and we
encourage you to please forward to your high school seniors so they can have the opportunity to review the information in ample time of the deadline.
For more information on each of the scholarships please visit the websites below:
TNLA Education & Research Foundation
Deadline is May 1st for scholarship submission – Value: $1,000
Grow Texas Scholarship Program
Deadline is April 1st for scholarship submission – Value: $1,000 to $3,000
If you have any questions please feel free to contact TNLA at :
Grow Texas Scholarship Program
c/o TNLA Education & Research Foundation
7730 S. IH 35
Austin, Texas 78745
Helpful Links for Graduating High School Students:
- Texas 4-H Scholarship Website
- “Student Savings: The Ultimate Scholarship Resource Guide”-http://www.shopsleuth.com/resources/scholarship-guide