Date: Thursday, November 9, 2023
Registration: October 9, 2023 – October 20, 2023
Lakeview Baptist Church
7717 TX-317, Belton, TX 76513
|Check-in by:||Orientation/Contest Starts|
|Ag Product Identification||9:00-9:30am||9:45 am|
|Awards Ceremony||Approximately 11:00 am or immediately following completion of tabulation for Ag Product Identification.|
|Waiver||All students need to fill out the contest waiver (can be done during 4-H Online registration)|
Rules & Guidelines
- 30 Texas agricultural products are selected and exhibited at separate stations. Products can range from garlic to a ribeye steak.
- Contestants select the correct identification of each product from four possible answers
- Each station also has one multiple choice question pertaining to the product on display.
- Questions are general to the industry that produced the product, (i.e. Texas’ national ranking, economic impact to Texas, general nutritional content, region of production) or specific to the individual product that is on display (i.e. cooking method, use, growing season, specific nutrition of the cut or variety).
- Contestants are given 30 seconds at each station to answer both questions.
- Contestants must advance from one exhibit to the next when instructed to do so.
- Contestants must evaluate each exhibit in sequence and will not be allowed to return to any exhibit after advancing.
- The contest will be open for all youth and adults present to walk-through the exhibits following the completion of the contest.
Check with your local county Extension office to ask about deadlines specific to your county.
The following websites are recommended references. Teams will also benefit from their own web searches and by visiting supermarkets to view products.
- Texas A&M University Extension Horticulture & Crops https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu
- Texas A&M University Department of Poultry Science https://posc.tamu.edu/texas-agrilife-poultry-extension-specialists/publications/
- Texas Produce Availability Chart http://www.gotexan.org/Portals/1/PDF/produce%20availability%20brochure%202015-nocropmarks.pdf
- Texas Beef Council http://www.beeflovingtexans.com/
- USDA Cuts of Beef https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/
- Texas Pork Producers Association https://texaspork.org/
- Texas Gulf Seafood https://txgulfseafood.com/seafood-guide/shrimp-seafood/
- Texas Sea Grant – Seafood http://texasseagrant.org/programs/cooking-with-seafood/
- Path to the Plate https://pathtotheplate.tamu.edu/
- 4-H Ag Product Identification Contest Study Guide (Old Resource)
- 4-H Ag Product Identification Contest Study Guide (2018 resource)
- 4-H Explore Guide – Ag Product ID
- Fruits and Vegetables Study Guide
- Beef Cuts Study Guide
- Beef Cuts
- Beef Cuts Chart
- Beef Chart
- Understanding the Meat Label
- Pork Basics
- Pork Popular Cuts
- Understanding Pork
- Texas Commodities
- Texas Product Availability Chart
- Texas Vegetables
- Practice #1
- Practice #2
- Practice #3
- Practice #4