Know your subordinates and look out for their well-being
- Put the safety of your subordinates above all other objectives.
- Take care of your subordinate’s needs.
- Resolve conflicts between individuals on the team.
Keep your subordinates informed
- Provide accurate and timely briefings.
- Give the reason (intent) for assignments and tasks.
- Make yourself available to answer questions at appropriate times.
Build the team
- Conduct frequent debriefings with the team to identify lessons learned.
- Recognize individual and team accomplishments and reward them appropriately.
- Apply disciplinary measures equally.
Employ your subordinates in accordance with their capabilities
- Observe human behavior as well as fire behavior.
- Provide early warning to subordinates of tasks they will be responsible for.
- Consider team experience, fatigue, and physical limitations when accepting assignments.