Be proficient in your job, both technically and as a leader
- Take charge when in charge
- Adhere to professional standard operating procedures.
- Develop a plan to accomplish given objectives.
Make sound and timely decisions
- Maintain situational awareness in order to anticipate needed actions.
- Develop contingencies and consider consequences.
- Improvise within the leader’s intent to handle a rapidly changing environment.
Ensure tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.
- Issue clear instructions.
- Observe and assess actions in progress, without micromanaging.
- Use positive feedback to modify duties, tasks, and assignments, where appropriate.
Develop your subordinates for the future
- Clearly state expectations
- Delegate tasks that you are not required to do, personally.
- Consider individual skill levels and developmental needs, when assigning tasks.