- All cotton clothing, including underwear.
- Felt hat or cotton cap.
- Leather boots with leather soles.
- Goggles to eyes smoke free.
- Boxes of matches, compass, map
- Good pair of wire cutters capable of cutting through barbed wire.
- Pocket knife.
- Drink plenty of water. Carry water with you at all times.
- NEVER get caught in front of the fire front.
- Take a couple of energy bars with you.
- Be sure that you understand the equipment you are using. DO not be embarrassed to ask questions about the use of the equipment.
- Watch out for signs of exhaustion on you and your fire crew.
- Watch out for hot branches on the ground.
- Be aware of where you are walking to avoid stumbling.
- Make safety a priority prior to, during and after a burn.