Got bats in your school belfry? Or classrooms, auditorium, cafeteria, stadium, or gym?
Bats often use buildings—including schools—as a refuge. Because bats can pose health hazards for people, school districts need to:
- Understand basic information about bats, rabies, and the laws pertaining to bats.
- Develop a site-specific bat-management plan that includes education, training, prevention, and response strategies.
- Keep the people in the schools safe from rabies.
- Learn how to get rid of the bats.
- Prevent bats from entering in the future.
- Avoid undue harm to local bat populations.