Become a Volunteer
The SMP program offers volunteers an opportunity to make an important difference in their communities. Volunteers take pride in working to ensure that the Medicare program will be protected for future generations. In 2014, 53 Senior Medicare Patrol projects had 5,249 active volunteers. Since 1997, more than 46,000 volunteers have helped the SMP program.
The Importance of SMP Volunteers
Senior Medicare Patrol has been on the front lines of fighting waste, fraud and abuse. No one feels more strongly about keeping criminals out of Medicare than seniors themselves. When someone defrauds Medicare, it means higher premiums and co-pays for beneficiaries. It also threatens the program that they have worked so hard for.
- Assisting with administration: Help with work such as copying, filing, data entry, and placing outbound phone calls in support of SMP activity
- Distributing information: Help with transporting and disseminating SMP information materials to sites and events; may include presenting prepared copy or performing scripted activities for small groups
- Staffing exhibits: Help by staffing information kiosks or exhibits at events such as health fairs; also may provide general information about SMP to the public and answer basic questions
- Making group presentations: Help by giving presentations on SMP topics to small and large groups; may interact with the audience by answering questions and through discussion
- Advisor: Help by having direct conversations with beneficiaries about their individual situations; may include review of personal information such as Medicare Summary Notices, billing statements, and other related financial and health documents
- Managing complex interactions: Help with in-depth interactions with beneficiaries who are reporting specific instances of health care fraud, errors, and abuse; may act on behalf of a beneficiary to correct an error or refer suspected fraud and abuse to the appropriate authorities
Watch this video to see volunteers in action.
To join Tarrant County SMP Call:
Phone: (817) 884-1294