See attached event time line for all the upcoming 4-H events.
Archives for September 2011
For those interested in taking hunter education classes (as required by the State of Texas for young hunters), Henderson County is offering these classes in October, beginning October 15th. Details may be found at: http://henderson.agrilife.org/events/ .
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Location: A.H. “Red” Harris Pavilion – On the Hawkins ISD campus behind the Ag Building
Entries Include: Dairy Heifers & Beef heifers/Bulls/Steers – Milk Bucket Class – Group Beef Herd – Market Lambs – Market Goats – Junior, Intermediate, Senior and Adult Showmanship
Registration: 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. (No pre-registration needed)
Showmanship at 10:00 a.m. Two show rings.
Entry Feeds: $10.00 per head for heifers,bulls, steers, lambs and goats.
Grand and Reserve Champion Awards for all heifer breeds
Division Champion Belt Buckles will be awarded to American, English and Exotic heifers, steers and goats.
See link below for General Rules. (Hope you can read upside down!)
Following is the direct web address to the SCJLS rules and forms. You may want to bookmark this link for easy access.
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Hunt County Fairgrounds in Greenville, TX
Viewing begins at 11:00 a.m.
Sale begins at 1:00 p.m.
For more info., contact Robert at 903/439-8055 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
Steer & Heifer Jackpot Show
Saturday, October 29, 2011
Moody Reunion Fairgrounds, 839 East Commerce, Fairfield, TX
See attached flyer for details: Freestone Fall Fest Flyer
If you plan to show a pig in any of the major shows and haven’t ordered validation tags yet, we need your order & payment as soon as possible. We need to send the 4-H order in no later than Monday, so please place your order by Friday. Make checks payable to “4-H Council.”
If you have nor ordered lamb and/or goat validation tags for major livestock shows, you may still make a late order by October 21st. Late orders are $20.00 each. Please make checks payable to “4-H Council”.
If you have questions, please call Sarah Bolt at the Smith County Extension office at 903/590-2980.
If you are showing in the Harvest Festival, please make note of the following memo from their Board; in particular, shavings for swine, broiler pick-up, and the October 1 deadline for entries. (Validation of animals does not mean they are entered. An entry form must be given to Sarah for her signature and for entry online.)
The Harvest Festival board met Tuesday, Sept. 6 with the following results:
* Barbecue plate the night of the sale will be $8…this is the first increase in forever!
* We are still working on having the “old shavings” in the swine barn removed. This will require all swine exhibitors to bring new shavings if they expect shavings for their pigs.
* Signs will be made to “help” with directions for unloading and also remind everyone that all livestock are to remain inside the fenced area. Exhibitors are not to exercise, “fit or groom” their livestock, etc. outside the fenced area…no exceptions!
* Exhibitors are also reminded to have their picture made immediately following the sale order. If no picture is made, an alternate may be called up!
* Broiler pick-up will be Thursday, September 15, 2-4 pm at Kilgore High School according to Charles Taylor, poultry supt.
* Ag Mechanics and Home Economics will be inside Maude Cobb at the same time. Ag Mech exhibitors are asked not to perform any work on their projects (spray paint, drill, grind, etc) that would interfere with home ec.
* A post card with Harvest Festival pictures on it will be mailed to past buyers reminding them of the show and sale dates, time & location.
* Teachers/Agents are reminded to have their students fill out their entry forms as in years past so summary sheets and online entries can be completed and turned in by the October 1 deadline.
Next Thursday, September 22nd is the day the East Texas State Fair honors our senior citizens. Homemade cookies are always a hit, so as many 4-H families who can bring some would be great! These may be brought to the Extension office anytime between now and Wednesday, September 21st. If you need to bring them early, we will place them in our freezer until the 22nd.
Besides being greatly appreciated by our senior citizens, this counts as community service that may be included on your Record Book.