Please note that the 2011 class is full. For more information, see the note below.
The 2011 class for Master Volunteer-Insect Specialists will be held in Dallas, TX, September 26-30. This is your chance to immerse yourself in the wonderful world of insects for a full week, and come out feeling like a true entomologist. Meet others like you, who have a passion for bugs! Topics for this year’s class include:
- Entomology 101: An introduction to insect biology, morphology and taxonomy
- Insect Orders: A hands on review
- References: Building a bug library
- Beneficial insects
- An overview of IPM and pesticides
- Invasive insects
- Insects affecting landscapes and ornamental plants
- Field collecting techniques for terrestrial and aquatic insects (field trip)
- Night collecting (field trip)
- Developing an entomology project in your county
- Pinning and preserving your collection (hands-on exercises)
- Fort Worth field trip (sites to be announced)
- Insects and spiders in the vegetable garden
- Community garden collecting (field trip)
- Beekeeping and honey tasting
- Gardening for butterflies
- Insect photography (lab and field)
- Insects of home and kitchen
- Ants! Ants! Ants!
If it sounds like a lot, it is a very busy week. In fact, we’re tired just thinking about it. This year’s class will be hosted by Dr. Mike Merchant, entomologist at the Texas AgriLife Center at Dallas. Nearly a dozen speakers will keep you on your toes; we promise you will not be bored.
Fees and details are still being worked out. This year’s registration fee is $350.00, and will include a collecting kit; Extension bulletins; lunches and one catered dinner, snacks & drinks. Transportation and lodging is on your own. Only 30 participant spots are available for this training, so we recommend checking this site in late spring or early summer, 2011. Registration is on a first come/first serve basis.
Note: The 2011 class registration has reached its maximum size of 30. Anyone registering after July 13 will be placed on a waiting list. If you desire to be added to the waiting list, please register but send no check. If space opens up, we will contact the waiting list and offer places to all who registered online, in the order of registration. You may at that time be asked to send in a registration check. We are sorry we are unable to accomodate everyone this year. Class size limitations have been put in place to maintain better quality of instruction and personal attention. Thanks for your understanding.