Things to Do – December 2017
- Cut dead perennials and tropicals back to the ground.
- Keep beds mulched and weeded. Cool season weeds do not take the winter off.
- Discontinue fertilization until cold weather is over.
- Pick up limbs and remove dead trees and shrubs from the landscape.
- Trim trees making sure to cut limbs flush with branch collar or next to another limb.
- Pot amaryllis, paperwhites, and chilled hyacinths for winter bloom.
- Clean, sharpen and oil garden tools as well as mower blades.
- Clean gutters.
- Stock bird feeders with black oil sunflower seed.
- Drain gasoline from power equipment for winter storage.
- Order seeds for next year from catalogues and websites.
- Finish cleaning, labeling, and storing saved seed.
- Plan vegetable and flower gardens for next year.
- Follow “Greg Grant Gardens” on Facebook!