Date: Friday, April 3, 2020
Tarleton State University
Ag Mechanics Building
County Road 518
Stephenville, TX 76401
|Registration opens at 7:30 am and will be open all day. Registration will be at the Tarleton Agricultural Center Ag Mechanics Building.|
|Contests||Check-in by:||Orientation/Contest Starts|
|Livestock Skillathon||“Come & Go”
See rules for details
|8:00 am – 12:00 noon|
|Entomology Identification||7:45 am||8:00 am|
|Mohair Judging & Evaluation||8:45 am||9:00 am|
|Range & Pasture Grass Identification (Plant ID)||8:45 am||9:00 am|
|Range Evaluation||9:45 am||10:00 am|
|Wool Judging & Evaluation||11:15 am||11:30 pm|
|Awards Ceremony #1||Approximately 1:00 pm or immediately following completion of tabulation for Entomology, Mohair, Wool, Range Evaluation, and Range & Pasture Grass (Plant ID) contests.|
|Ag Product Identification||1:45 pm||2:00 pm|
|Awards Ceremony #2||Approximately 3:30 pm or immediately following completion of tabulation for Livestock Skillathon and Ag Product Identification.|
Printable Schedule (pdf)
- $10 per contestant
- Payable through 4-H Connect*
- Check with your local county Extension office to ask about deadlines specific to your county****.
The Livestock Skillathon contest tests a 4-H member’s knowledge and comprehension of animal science and livestock management practices. The contest provides an opportunity for youth to gain and develop production livestock skills and life skills through a competitive environment.
Rules & Guidelines
- This will be a “come and go” format where there is not a specific time that all contestants will be required to report.
- The contest will be open from 8 am to 12 noon.
- All contestants that are designated as a team must enter the contest at the same time.
The contest may include the following components:
- Placing classes
- Written Exam/Quality Assurance Quiz
- Hands-on practicum
- Live animal evaluation or handling
Contest Subject Matter:
Contest subject matter may include, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- Livestock equipment identification – name and use category
- Livestock breed identification – breed name and descriptions
- Retail meat cut identification – beef, lamb, pork; identify specie, primal, and retail cut
- Feed sample identification
- Potential judging classes – hay, wool, meat, livestock
- Quality Assurance Exercises
- General Livestock Industry
The last page of the 2018-2019 Texas 4-H Livestock Skillathon Guide has many website links for study resources.