The Texas 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Advisory Committee has issued a new challenge this year for their community service project. It’s called, “We’ve Got Your Back!” The best part is…the benefits of this project stay in your community!
Here’s how it works:
4-H clubs and groups collect gently used backpacks and purses, along with non-perishable food items and basic necessities (toiletries). Some good ideas on how to collect these items would be placing bins at schools, libraries, grocery stores, recreation centers, etc.
- Make sure all backpacks and purses are clean and in relatively good shape.
- Sort through all food items to make sure they are nonperishable.
- Evenly distribute the items into each of the backpacks.
- Distribute the filled bags to people in your local community!
- Report the number of backpacks, food items and toiletries collected online!
- These bags can be distributed to many places: Salvation Army, shelters, directly to homeless or any students in need!
For more information, go to:
The county collecting the most filled backpacks will be announced and honored at 2011 Texas 4-H Roundup!!!