Today, many students are accustomed to the seemingly endless cycle of construction. While the Depression of the 1930s dominated politics and the economy, new buildings being constructed on campus offered jobs and a renewed hope for the future.
In 1933, the School of Agriculture moved into its new, state-of-the-art facilities. Some of which are still in use today:
- Scoates Hall, the new home for agricultural engineering
- Animal Industries Building for animal husbandry, which included an area for meat processing
- Administration Building
Former associate dean Richard Potts was quoted in an oral history that the workers who “did the fine artwork on those buildings got [paid] a dollar a day.”
All that construction benefited the community, too. Animal husbandry faculty and students processed the meat from cattle purchased by the government to keep ranchers in business. The meat was canned in Bryan and distributed throughout the state with financial assistance from the Texas Relief Commission, a federally funded program. During one six-month period alone, the faculty and students processed as much as 1,300 head of cattle to help feed those in need.
Although times were hard, there were bright spots along the way–job creation, hunger relief, and a new sense of direction for the College, students, and faculty.
Photo courtesy of Cushing Memorial Library