Interested in Volunteering with Us?
We could use your help engaging Austin’s youth in STEM fields! There are two ways to volunteer with 4-H CAPITAL; through regular, weekly classroom assistance, or as a one-time guest speaker or field trip host.
Volunteer Guest Speakers or Field Trip Hosts
Do you work in a science-related field, and want to share your career path with kids? Come talk to one of our classes about your field of expertise! We are looking for guest speakers in the areas of Engineering, Computer Science, Natural Resources, Chemistry, Animal Science, Animal Behavior, Ecology, Gardening, Horticulture, and many more! Think outside the box; if you have knowledge about any of our curriculum areas and are willing to share this with kids, it will help them become more aware of the breadth of science-based career paths.
- One to two hours to speak to our students, at one of our program locations. Remember to make your presentation fun and engaging, with activities if possible.
- If you have a site that would be willing to host a field trip, we would love to come to you! Contact our Project Manager for details (see info below).
Volunteer Classroom Assistants
Volunteers help with daily classroom activities such as setting up activities, leading games, and helping the afterschool teacher with behavior management. Volunteers are assistants in the classroom, and function as another pair of adult eyes and ears to oversee student activities. Volunteers will not be required to participate in lesson planning, and will not be left alone with the class at any time.
4-H CAPITAL works with about 30 elementary and middle schools across Travis County. Many 4-H CAPITAL afterschool programs are a part of 21st Century Community Learning Centers Afterschool Centers on Education programming (21st CCLC ACE). In most cases, our programs run from 2:30pm – 6:00pm, Monday – Thursday.
Classroom Assistant Requirements:
- An interest in gaining experience working with groups of youth
- Science or education background helpful, but not required!
- Have reliable transportation to your school site
- Must be able to commit to at least 1 day a week, Monday-Thursday
- Must be able to commit to at least one full semester of volunteering (Sept-Dec or Jan-May)
- Must consent to a criminal background check, or be able to provide proof of passing such a check if current AmeriCorps member or AISD/DVISD volunteer
Email Willie Garza for more information, or to apply to be a volunteer today! Please include in your email the day(s) you are interested in volunteering, which semester(s) you are available and any geographic preferences you may have.