There’s no limit to what our STEM classes can do! Classes include kid-friendly engineering, robotics, rocketry, making and tinkering, coding, and more. Through fun problem-solving challenges, we encourage youth to take a look at the world and find ways to make it better. Youth learn the value of persistence as they plan, create, and improve their designs. They are introduced to new technology and to effective engineering design practices.
Our Engineering and Technology program at 4-H CAPITAL provides meaningful science, technology, engineering, and math learning experiences to the youth of Travis County in afterschool programs. Our goal is to help youth succeed by helping them see themselves as engineers and increasing their interest in pursuing a career in any related field.
In each of our classes we strive to connect kids to technology through project-based inquiry as they code, work with circuits, and robotics while utilizing the engineering design process to create their very own creative projects. Students learn about the science behind the machines around them and are exposed to new technologies. Once their projects are complete, youth look forward to engage in local robotics competitions, school demonstrations, and other opportunities to showcase their work to the community.
Our youth not only work on circuits, robotics, and OzoBots but they are also introduced to various STEM curriculum. Our youth are encouraged to be creative and find the confidence in themselves to build and make mistakes! Youth can learn from different state of matter to building a solar powered car.
“What will I be doing as an AmeriCorps Member on the Engineering & Technology Team?”
Our Engineering & Technology AmeriCorps Members work together with our E&T Curriculum Specialist to assure the smooth roll out of our E&T program from M-F. AmeriCorps Members are expected to harness their creativity and drive to figure out, “How does this work?” and “What makes this tick?” Our E&T team also should have the motivation to instill and pass on this excitement on to the youth that we serve.
*Some of our E&T AmeriCorps Members will also have the opportunity to bring these hands-on science activities to a classroom/library in our Curriculum Enrichment Program – a program that gives our AmeriCorps Members the opportunity to teach hands on science activities in a school setting at the school they may serve.*
Essential Functions: Science Instructor Engineering & Technology Team
- Inspire youth to develop into inquiring scientists, citizens of character, partners in service and engaged community members
- Be a positive role model and influence for elementary and middle school aged students
- Members will be working specifically with vulnerable populations.
- Plan, lead, and assist 4-H CAPITAL’s science curriculum in the after school space
- Develop proficiency in teaching and leading groups of youth of up to 16 students
- Implement proactive behavior management systems to ensure a safe and impactful teaching environment
- Members will work a 9AM-6PM weekly schedule (40-45 hours per week)
- Assist in gathering and reporting data for evaluation purposes including daily attendance
- Willingness to work in an office environment that houses animals
- Working outdoors in various weather conditions with exposure to stinging insects, poison ivy, and other hazards