Green Star – Junior Level Award
JUNIOR OF THE YEAR AWARD GUIDELINES
The Green Star was created by Brazoria County Adult Leaders in order to honor our Junior 4-H members for their outstanding achievements in 4-H. The applicants will meet all criteria so the quality of the award can be maintained. The following criteria will be considered the minimum. Any 4-H member not meeting these criteria will not be considered for the award. The organization may choose not to award the Junior of the Year if there are not 4-H members in the county who actually exceed the minimum criteria. The maximum number of Junior of the Year recipients in Brazoria County will not exceed four (4). The Junior of the Year can be won only one time.
Criteria for Selection:
A. The 4-H member must be considered a Junior 4-Her as of August 31 of the current 4-H year and have completed at least one (1) year in 4-H including the current year.
B. The 4-H member must submit an Awards Program Record Book for county competition in the year the 4-Her is to be considered for the Green Star Award. An application for the award must be completed and returned to the Brazoria County Extension Office on the same date as Record Books. There will be no exceptions. The application should be paper clipped to the outside front cover of the Record Books.
C. Project Activities during the 4-Hers’ years in 4-H, the member must have:
- Completed projects in two (2) different project areas that are detailed in the Record Book.
- Participated in and completed one or more activities in at least two (2) of the following areas in the current year.
a. Educational Presentation
c. Project Exhibits
e. Leadership Lab
f. Citizenship Activities
g. Public Relations-Examples: demonstrations, speeches, poster displays, club exhibits, project shows, radio, TV, newspapers, special projects
h. Other (may include fund raising, etc.)
i. Project activities
D. Leadership – During the applicant’s years in 4-H, the 4-H member must have done the following:
- Served as an officer or participated on a committee at some level of the 4-H organization club or county.
- Provided leadership in an activity or project with, or under the supervision of an adult volunteer leader.
E. Community Service, Citizenship, Character – The 4-H member must have participated in one or more community service activities such as:
- Working or counseling with 4-H members
- Communities Service projects, either individual, group or club type projects, contributions to school, church and community.
- Must have motivated other 4-H members through participation in demonstrations, projects and/or exhibits.
- Character should include attitude and personal growth in accepting responsibilities and serving others.
The Brazoria County Adult Leaders will review and screen the applications for Junior of the Year before they are judged.
All applicants will be interviewed by a panel of two (2) judges. The panel will be selected from former Gold Star Winners, 4-H Leaders and/or County Extension Agents. Brazoria County 4-H Extension Agents, Leaders, Parents, or other Relatives will not be eligible to judge. The interviews will be conducted in the Extension Office or in a specified location.
No makeup interviews will be given unless prior approval has been received by the Brazoria County Adult Leaders to allow for a taped interview.
The Green Star recipient(s) will receive an award.