This week, I’m excited to announce a project I’ve been a part of developing for the last two years. As part of a Southern Extension Risk Management Education Center grant, AgriLife faculty have developed a series of resources on the economic and legal considerations for Texans when growing hemp. You can find our video series here.
Dates and Deadlines
3/23/2021 – Perryton Farmland Leasing Workshop
4/9/2021 – *New* QLA Application Deadline
4/13,15,20,22/2021 – Developing a Drought Management Plan for the Ranch Webinar Series
4/5/2021 – Swisher/Hale Crops Conference
4/7/2021 – Lower Rolling Plains Ag Conference
4/9/2021 – WASDE
What I’m Reading
Texas tops all U.S. states in exports for 19th consecutive year – AgriLife Today
Taking nutrition from personalization to precision – AgriLife Today
Have you checked your beneficiary designations, account details? – Southwest Farm Press
We designed this course as a series of short videos that address legal and economic issues for hemp producers in Texas. Whether you have planted hemp before or you are only considering growing hemp for the first time, this course has something for you. When you visit the webpage, the video library is on the righthand side, organized by topic. Each topic is broken down into bite sized subjects, with videos from just five to ten minutes!
Though the price of hemp collapsed over the last two years, there is still market interest, and potential for the crop as part of a healthy crop profile. The goal of this series is to provide you with easy to use tools and an overview of the regulations for hemp production.
Topics in the Video Series
- Dr. George Knapak provides a great overview of the basics of the hemp plant and hemp production. This is a fantastic 101-type lesson for anyone who wants to learn more about hemp production and the hemp industry.
- Tiffany Dowell Lashent provided a series of videos related to the key legal issues for hemp producers. She covers the USDA Final Hemp Rule, the Texas Department of Agriculture, contracting considerations for producers, and a look at additional legal issues including nuisance, trespass, and hemp for feed.
- In the video series I did a detailed walk-through of hemp budgets for various products and a price structure overview.
- Dr. Greg Kaase offered an explanation of the FARM Assistance program and how it can help with financial analysis and comparisons of different crops, and for our purposes, hemp.
- Dr. Steven Klose discussed crop insurance options for hemp producers in Texas.
We hope that you’ll take the time to watch this video series and use some of the resources we’ve developed. As always, our goal is to provide research based information to Texas producers on important issues like hemp production. You can check out the various information on the website or on YouTube. Be sure to take our short evaluation to let us know if the information provided was helpful.
This project was made possible by funding from the Southern Extension Risk Management Education Center and the United States Department of Agriculture.