Bruce L. Akey, DVM, MS, serves as director for the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL), a state agency in the Texas A&M University System. As director of TVMDL, Dr. Akey oversees the directors at the Amarillo, Center, and Gonzales locations.
Nationally recognized as a leader in veterinary diagnostics Dr. Akey served as assistant dean for diagnostic operations and the executive director of the Animal Health Diagnostic Center in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University from 2006-2014. Additionally, he served three and a half years as assistant state veterinarian for the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, was the chief of the Office of Laboratory Services at the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services for 13 years and was in private clinical practice for 4 years prior.
A graduate of the College of William and Mary with a bachelor’s degree in biology, Dr. Akey also holds a master of science in parasitology from the University of Florida and a doctorate of veterinary medicine from the University of Minnesota.
- Co-chair AAVLD Government Relations Committee, current
- Member of National Animal Health Laboratory Network (NAHLN), current
- Coordinating Council NAHLN, current
- Co-Chair for NAHLN Methods Technical Working Group, current
- Member of NAHLN Information Technology Committee, current
- Lifetime membership to AAVLD, 2017
- P. Pope award for distinguished service, 2014