ding 4-H Livestock programs contact Fred M. Hall at email@example.com
- Texas Youth Livestock and Agriculture – link
Major Livestock Show Entry Day
For those of you who are interested in showing in the following livestock shows there will be a livestock show entry day held at our office on Monday, November 7, 2016 from 8 a.m. until 5 pm at the Tarrant County Extension office. Parking is not validated for this event. Please make this day a priority if you plan to participate in these shows. Exhibitors can make an appointment to complete their entries before that day, but NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 5 P.M. ON MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7!
Fort Worth Livestock Show
San Antonio Livestock Show
Houston Livestock Show
San Angelo Livestock Show
STAR of Texas Livestock Show
If you have any questions regarding the entry process please contact the agriculture agent Fred M. Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 817-884-1946.
What you need to bring on Entry Day:
- All exhibitors must bring their social security number with them.
- Quality Counts certification number
- Checks or money orders are preferred, make payable to ELEC. If paying with cash, bring exact amount, we are not able to make change.
- Bring original registration papers for all breeding animals and a copy that you can leave with the Extension office. (Exception-heifer registration upload deadline is Nov 1.) Yes I know that state has a few more days, but my schedule does not allow the extra days!
Each show has a website with all their entry information listed. Be sure you are familiar with all rules and dates for each show you want to enter. You can download forms at home and have them filled out before you come, this will speed up the process (this is highly recommended).
Fort Worth Judging Team entries are due Nov. 15. Fort Worth Calf Scramble on-line entries open on Oct 1 and are first come first serve. Houston Commercial steer competition opened Aug. 15 and deadline Sept. 30 information and entries on-line:
Calf scramble available Oct 15
San Antonio calf scramble schedule, application & entry procedures plus rules will be posted on their website by Sept 1
Other competition information to be announced as it is available.
Fall Validation Dates
The dates and locations for Fall validations for sheep, goats, swine and heifers are:
Tuesday, October 25 4-7 pm; Crowley Ag Barn
Thursday, October 27 4-7 pm; Grapevine-Colleyville Ag Barn
An additional date for swine will be announced as needed.
For all questions pertaining to Fall validation please contact Fred M. Hall at email@example.com or call at 817-884-1946.
Non-Animal Contests at Stock Shows
In the past 2-3 years, some stock shows and fairs have added a variety of non-animal contests. This has generated a lot of questions, so below is some general information:
- Each stock show is a separate entity that sets its own rules and guidelines. Contest opportunities vary according to each specific show.
- If a member is interested in participating in any stock show event (animal or non-animal), his/her family needs to locate the rules and guidelines for each specific show of interest.
A. Then, the family needs to determine whether the contest is “open” or “youth”.
B. If it is “open” and does not require an Extension Agent signature, the families usually enter the show directly.
- If it is “Youth Division” or requires an Extension Agent signature, then the family needs to bring the contest information, registration form, and additional requirement (i.e. copy of speech, ID, fee, etc.) to the County Extension office on the “Stock Show Entry Day”.
- The Extension office “Stock Show Entry Day” events are a few weeks prior to any stated deadlines in the show handbook. This is because we need to collect all the registration for the county, sort, enter, make fee deposits, request a single check for the total to send to the show, and mail in time to meet all the show deadlines.
Animal Project Registration
It is time to send in your livestock project sheets to the 4-H office. Livestock Project Sheets must be renewed each year along with re-enrolling for the new 4-H year. For new members the form is due when you enroll in 4-H and get a project.
- Quality County Verification Information – If you plan to participate in any of the majors (Fort Worth, San Antonio, San Angelo, Houston, State Fair of Texas or Star of Texas) you are required to complete the mandated Quality Counts Verification. Once you take the test and pass for your age division you will not have to take the test again, unless you are a junior member, you will then be required to take the senior level test when you reach the appropriate grade level.
- For Livestock Exhibitors Only – To Practice and Take the Test Click Here. Please Select 4-H/FFA option to assist if you ever participate in one of the two programs.
If the Quality Counts Verification you completed as a junior member has expired, you are required to take the Senior level verification. This must be done prior to entry into any major fall, winter or spring livestock show. Upon completing the verification process please email ag department to make them aware of your status. You cannot enter you into any shows from this point forward without a senior level designation.
The Link for verifying is at http://qc.wieghatgraphics.com/
Please see the document below that has the answers to frequently asked questions regarding Quality Counts.