For information regarding 4-H Livestock programs contact Fred M. Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Texas Youth Livestock and Agriculture – link
All youth who plan to participate in any Youth Livestock Divisions of fall livestock shows/fairs/events will need to plan to sign up at the Extension office on the
Fall Livestock Show Entry Day
Tuesday, August 9, 2016 between 9 am – 5 pm.
It is important that you come on the specified day because each show has strict deadlines, and we must assemble paperwork and finances. If you cannot attend, call IN ADVANCE to 817-884-1946 to see if we can find a solution. After the date, you will NOT be entered.
- Save the date on your schedule (August 9, 2016; 9 – 5 pm)
- Review the website for each show/fair/event you want to enter. Check rules, dates, etc.
- Decide which classes you want to enter.
- Ensure that your Quality Counts number is still active.
You may go online to http://agrilife.org/qualitycounts/ to verify. You must certify as a Junior/Intermediate and again as a Senior. If you have not completed the Quality Counts educational training or if it has expired, you may access the above website for instructions on how to complete and certify before the entry day. This must be completed in advance because you will need to have the verification number before you can enter livestock shows.
Assemble the paperwork that you will need to bring with you to the Fall Show Entry Day.
What to bring on Fall Show Entry Day:
- Social security number for each exhibitor
- Copy of registration papers for all breeding animals.
- Your Quality Counts Verification number.
- Printed copy of Release of Liability form for each show you plan to enter (from their website).
- Printed copy of the entry form for each show you plan to enter. Please mark the specific classes you plan to enter. This will serve as a worksheet which we will use to place the official entries.
- Check or money order – payable to “ELEC” (which stands for Equine-Livestock Education Committee)
We submit entries for YOUTH classes– NOT OPEN classes
If you plan to enter Creative Arts, Public Speaking, Foods/Cooking, Consumer Decision Making, Ag Mechanics, Shooting, etc., you must check the rule & premium books for each show to determine the rules for your desired contest. If it states that you must enter through the CEA or through 4-H, you MUST contact the Extension office prior to August 9. For questions regarding livestock show entry please contact Fred M. Hall at email@example.com or call 817-884-1946.
Fall Validation Tag orders
It’s time to order ear tags for the 2016-17 Texas 4-H/FFA Swine, Market Sheep & Goats, Breeding Sheep & Goats, Breeding Heifers, Wether Dams and Wether Does Validation Programs. The deadline for ordering tags will be August 22, 2016, the price is $15 per tag. Orders may be delivered to the Extension office or mailed in time to be received by August 22. Orders with payment are due into the Tarrant County Extension office by 5 p.m., Monday, August 22, 2016; no fax, phone, text or email orders accepted.
All orders and payment must be in the office by the deadline or they will be considered late tag orders and require additional payment to be processed. Please make checks or money orders out to ELEC.
Mail orders to:
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Tarrant County
Tarrant County Validation Committee
Attn: Fred M. Hall
PO Box 1540
Fort Worth, Texas 76101-1540
Late tag orders will be charged $30 per tag and must be authorized by a validation committee member. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 817-884-1946.
Non-Animal Contests at Stock Shows
In the past 2-3 years, some stock shows and fairs have added a variety of non-animal contests. This has generated a lot of questions, so below is some general information:
- Each stock show is a separate entity that sets its own rules and guidelines. Contest opportunities vary according to each specific show.
- If a member is interested in participating in any stock show event (animal or non-animal), his/her family needs to locate the rules and guidelines for each specific show of interest.
A. Then, the family needs to determine whether the contest is “open” or “youth”.
B. If it is “open” and does not require an Extension Agent signature, the families usually enter the show directly.
- If it is “Youth Division” or requires an Extension Agent signature, then the family needs to bring the contest information, registration form, and additional requirement (i.e. copy of speech, ID, fee, etc.) to the County Extension office on the “Stock Show Entry Day”.
- The Extension office “Stock Show Entry Day” events are a few weeks prior to any stated deadlines in the show handbook. This is because we need to collect all the registration for the county, sort, enter, make fee deposits, request a single check for the total to send to the show, and mail in time to meet all the show deadlines.
Animal Project Registration
It is time to send in your livestock project sheets to the 4-H office. Livestock Project Sheets must be renewed each year along with re-enrolling for the new 4-H year. For new members the form is due when you enroll in 4-H and get a project.
- Quality County Verification Information – If you plan to participate in any of the majors (Fort Worth, San Antonio, San Angelo, Houston, State Fair of Texas or Star of Texas) you are required to complete the mandated Quality Counts Verification. Once you take the test and pass for your age division you will not have to take the test again, unless you are a junior member, you will then be required to take the senior level test when you reach the appropriate grade level.
- For Livestock Exhibitors Only – To Practice and Take the Test Click Here. Please Select 4-H/FFA option to assist if you ever participate in one of the two programs.
If the Quality Counts Verification you completed as a junior member has expired, you are required to take the Senior level verification. This must be done prior to entry into any major fall, winter or spring livestock show. Upon completing the verification process please email ag department to make them aware of your status. You cannot enter you into any shows from this point forward without a senior level designation.
The Link for verifying is at http://qc.wieghatgraphics.com/
Please see the document below that has the answers to frequently asked questions regarding Quality Counts.