Caroline (1973) described the status of the coyote within the Edwards Plateau in 1973 as follows:
In 1950, coyotes were a rarity in the heart of the Hill Country. On occasion, a single animal would appear in the western part of the area but it was soon removed. Along the South Pacific tracks west of San Antonio ranchers to the north were interested in control south of the tracks, and for many years this was sufficient. However, when the severe drought of the 1950s came to an end, and after many ranchers cleared off their cedars and established more waterings, coyotes began to move in. Although much land improvement took place, “wolf-proof” fences were allowed to deteriorate. Coyotes could enter any pasture. (This is an important part because removal of the wolves was half due to fencing and half to organized control). For some time there was no one who recognized this fact. Losses were light and what were found were usually attributed to bobcats, foxes, and raccoons. By the time it was known that coyotes were present, there were far more of them than anyone expected. Consequently, today and in some cases as late as this year, there are coyotes in every formerly coyote-free county in the heart of sheep and goat country.
The re-establishment of coyotes within the Edwards Plateau had further progressed by 1980 (Fig. 7) (Hawthorne 1980). A total of 637 coyotes was taken from within the former coyote-free area. This continued encroachment of coyotes into the sheep and goat production areas had become a serious concern. In 1981, a request for the emergency use of Compound 1080 bait stations as per Section 18 of FIFRA was prepared and submitted to EPA for consideration (Nunley 1981). The request was eventually denied by EPA after a lengthy administrative hearings process.