Our undergraduate major in recreation, park and tourism sciences is accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT). COAPRT is, in turn, accredited by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
COAPRT standard 2.05.05 requires reporting of aggregated results of learning outcomes assessment. Results for the most recent academic year (AY 2013) follow:
- Examination targets were exceeded for 86% of the classes in which tests were administered.
- All (100%) of the specification levels associated with our senior exit survey were exceeded.
- Intern performance exceeded specification levels. Ninety-eight percent of professionals who supervised our interns indicated they would hire the student they superised and 96% of our students earned a passing grade in the internship class. The specification level is 90% for each of these.
- The average student rating of teaching was 4.3 on a 5-point scale for Academic Year 2013.
- The accuracy rate of our advising program was 100%.
CHEA requires accredited institutions to inform the public about “degree and accreditation mills.” Cautions concerning these are summarized in a video that can be viewed at http://chea.org/public_info/video_degree_mills.asp . According to CHEA,
Degree mills and accreditation mills mislead and harm. In the United States, degrees and certificates from mills may not be acknowledged by other institutions when students seek to transfer or go to graduate school. Employers may not acknowledge degrees and certificates from degree mills when providing tuition assistance for continuing education. “Accreditation” from an accreditation mill can mislead students and the public about the quality of an institution or program. In the presence of degree mills and accreditation mills, students may spend a good deal of money and receive neither an education nor a useable credential.
Read more on CHEA’s website, http://chea.org/degreemills/default.htm .
Texas A&M University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.