Date: Friday, April 21, 2017
Tarleton State University
Ag Mechanics Building (NEW Building!)
County Road 518
Stephenville, TX 76401
|Registration opens at 7:30 am and will be open all day. Registration will be at the Southwest Regional Dairy Center.|
|Check-in by:||Orientation/Contest Starts|
|Entomology Identification||7:45 am||8:00 am|
|Mohair Judging & Evaluation||8:45 am||9:00 am|
|Range & Pasture Grass Identification||8:45 am||9:00 am|
|Range Evaluation||9:45 am||10:00 am|
|Wool Judging & Evaluation||11:45 am||12:00 pm|
|Ag Product Identification||1:45 pm||2:00 pm|
|Awards||Approximately 3:30 pm or immediately following completion of tabulation.|
Printable Schedule (pdf)
- $10 per contestant
- Payable through 4-H Connect*
- Check with your local county Extension office to ask about deadlines specific to your county.
This contest provides an opportunity for 4‐H members to explore the exciting world of insects and helps them become familiar with common insects in their area. It introduces members to the concept of classification and grouping objects or living organisms according to the physical characteristics they share. The additional bonus is that while learning the name of each insect, 4‐H members gain an understanding of its biology and behavior.
Rules & Guidelines
- 4‐H members will identify selected insects and complete a written examination on insects. Questions will be selected primarily from “Study Materials for 4‐H Entomology Contests.”
- The written exam may include question formats such as true/false, matching, short answer, or fill-in-the-blank.
- The identification portion will require a common name as well as the insect Order.
|Written Exam||Identification of Insects|
|Junior||20 questions||5 insects|
|Intermediate||30 questions||10 insects|
|Senior||50 points||25 insects|