Date: Friday, April 21, 2017
Tarleton State University
Ag Mechanics Building (NEW Building!)
County Road 518
Stephenville, TX 76401
|Registration opens at 7:30 am and will be open all day. Registration will be at the Southwest Regional Dairy Center.|
|Check-in by:||Orientation/Contest Starts|
|Entomology Identification||7:45 am||8:00 am|
|Mohair Judging & Evaluation||8:45 am||9:00 am|
|Range & Pasture Grass Identification||8:45 am||9:00 am|
|Range Evaluation||9:45 am||10:00 am|
|Wool Judging & Evaluation||11:45 am||12:00 pm|
|Ag Product Identification||1:45 pm||2:00 pm|
|Awards||Approximately 3:30 pm or immediately following completion of tabulation.|
Printable Schedule (pdf)
- $10 per contestant
- Payable through 4-H Connect*
- Check with your local county Extension office to ask about deadlines specific to your county.
Rules & Guidelines
- 20 Texas agricultural products are selected from the attached Texas Agriculture Products List and exhibited at separate stations.
- Contestants select the correct identification of each product from four possible answers.
- Each station also has one multiple choice question pertaining to the product on display.
- Questions are general to the industry that produced the product, (i.e. Texas’ national ranking, economic impact to Texas, general nutritional content, region of production) or specific to the individual product that is on display (i.e. cooking method, use, growing season, specific nutrition of the cut or variety).
- Contestants are given 40 seconds at each station to answer both questions.
- Contestants must advance from one exhibit to the next when instructed to do so.
- Contestants must evaluate each exhibit in sequence and will not be allowed to return to any exhibit after advancing.
- The contest will be open for all youth and adults present to walk-through the exhibits following the completion of the contest.
Check with your local county Extension office to ask about deadlines specific to your county.
Texas 4-H Ag Product Identification Contest Guide
Rules & Guidelines and Forms
Check out the state guide and contest info on the Texas 4-H website Roundup page
Ag Product List
- Aloe Vera
- Black-Eyed Peas
- Bok Choy
- Brussels Sprout
- Carrot & Maroon Carrot
- Collard Greens
- Green Bean
- Honeydew Melon
- Mustard & Turnip Greens
- Onion (Dry)
- Onion (Green)
- Pepper (Bell)
- Pepper (Chile)
- Snap Peas
- Squash (Summer)
- Squash (Winter)
- Sweet Corn
- Sweet Potato
* All beef and pork products are also subject to inclusion in this contest
The following websites are recommended references. Teams will also benefit from their own web searches and by visiting supermarkets to view products listed on the Texas Agriculture Product List.
- Texas 4-H Ag Product Guide http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/Ag-Product-ID-Information.pdf
- Texas Produce Association http://www.texasproduceassociation.com/
- TAMU Extension Horticulture & Crops http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/
- USDA Cuts of Beef http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/Default.aspx
- Pork Cuts http://texaspork.org/