We are excited to offer a new contest this year!!! The Agriculture Product Identification Contest will be offered on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at the Bell County Expo Center.
This will be the same day as the District 8 4-H Food Show & Food Challenge. 4-H members may participate in both events or simply one or the other. After registration, the committee will notify 4-H members which heat in which they will participate. Registration will be on 4-H Connect with an entry fee of $5 per member. Check with your County Extension Agent for more details.
A few details about how the contest works:
- 20 Texas agricultural products are selected from the attached Texas Agriculture Products List and exhibited at separate stations.
- Contestants select the correct identification of each product from four possible answers.
- Each station also has one multiple choice question pertaining to the product on display.
- Questions are general to the industry that produced the product, (i.e. Texas’ national ranking, economic impact to Texas, general nutritional content, region of production) or specific to the individual product that is on display (i.e. cooking method, use, growing season, specific nutrition of the cut or variety).
- Contestants are given 40 seconds at each station to answer both questions.
- Contestants must advance from one exhibit to the next when instructed to do so.
- Contestants must evaluate each exhibit in sequence and will not be allowed to return to any exhibit after advancing.
- The contest will be open for all youth and adults present to walk-through the exhibits following the completion of the contest.
Contest information is attached and is also posted on the D8 4-H website on the Ag Product Identification Contest page: http://agrilife.org/d84h/events-and-activities/agriculture-product-identification-contest/
You can also view a contest tutorial on the Texas 4-H website on the Ag Product Identification Contest page: http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/agriculture_products
I hope you will work with your 4-H members to become a part of this new and exciting contest!