DISTRICT HORSE SHOW INFORMATION
District 8 4-H Horse Show scheduled for June 19-20, 2017
Location: Bell County Expo Center, Belton, TX
Deadline: Check with your local County Extension Agent. Deadlines vary by county.
Entry Fee: $15 per class
INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS
For 2017, Horse Validation will be processed through 4-H Connect. All members of the 4-H Horse Project MUST complete this to participate in the District and State 4-H Horse Show.
Horse Validation Dates
March 1 – April 15, $10.00 per horse
April 16 -May 1, $20.00 per horse
- THERE ARE MANY NEW CHANGES!!! PLEASE READ THE RULES AND REGULATIONS TO MAKE SURE YOU COVER THEM ALL!!!!!
- Have a family and youth member profile established on 4-H CONNECT.
- Be an paid/active youth member of Texas 4-H for the 2016-2017 year.
- REQUIRED: Have digital photos of your horse(s) from the front, left side, and right side. These photos must be accessible for upload during the validation process.
- REQUIRED: For registered horses, you need to have a pdf or jpeg copy of your horse(s) registration papers uploaded.
- If you are validating the same horse, you will not have to have new pictures or papers.
- Pay with credit card for each validation.
- Information, photos, and registration papers for horses validated using 4-H Connect in previous years will not have to be re-entered/re-submitted, unless any changes have been made, such as a change in ownership; however, horses in the system will still need to be selected for the current year’s validation, and payment will be required for each horse validated.
- NEW THIS YEAR! Coggins papers for each horse must be scanned and uploaded to 4-H Connect during the entry process. It is best if the dates of the test are good THROUGH the dates of the Texas 4-H Horse Show
The rules and other information for the 2017 State 4-H Horse Show can also be found at this link: http://animalscience.tamu.edu/livestock-species/equine/state-4h-show. The significant rule changes for this year are:
- At District and State Shows, a horse may be ridden by only one 4-H’er per Class. Separate age groups do NOT count as separate classes. Example: a horse may be ridden in barrels by one 4-Her and Stakes by another 4-Her, provided that the 4-H’ers are siblings, the ownership requirements are met, and the horse has been properly Validated as a 4-H project (see validation rules). Exception: Drill and precision riding. Futurity horses may never be ridden by more than one person.
o Previously horses could only be ridden by one 4-Her per division. This has been changed to one 4-Her per class, so that families with limited horses and multiple siblings can more easily participate.
- Lower fence heights have been set for Juniors in the over fences classes.
- Juniors will have an extended time (45 seconds) to complete their run in the roping division.
4-H Horse Validation – March 1 to May 1: Validation is required for showing at District orState horse shows, and its purpose is to certify that ownership requirements have been met. The horse MUST be owned solely by the 4-H member, his/her parents (biological or stepparents), brother, sister, grandparents, or legal guardian. Horses under lease to, but not owned by any of the named persons, do NOT qualify. Horses owned in partnership or jointly with any person other than those previously listed do NOT meet ownership requirements. The horse validation process will be completed electronically using the 4-H Connect online management system. Horses must be validated or re-validated each year. All 4-H members who wish to show at their District Show or the State 4-H Horse Show will be REQUIRED to validate their horse(s) on the 4-H Connect system. Horse validation is completed for EACH HORSE and will cover all 4-H youth members in that family profile. When validating your horse(s) on 4-H Connect, you will select ONLY ONE 4- H youth member to conduct the validation under. Once a horse is validated, validation paid, and you begin registering for the District Horse Show, the validated horse(s) can be moved to the appropriate 4-H member(s) who will be exhibiting the horse in the show. Validation will be open from March 1 to MAY 1. Any horse validated before or after this date will NOT be accepted. An illustrated step-by-step instruction guide for families for is available for download and reference on both the Texas 4-H website (http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/) and the Texas A&M University Department of Animal Science – Equine Science website (http://horse.tamu.edu) under the State 4-H Horse Show link. Validation cost for each horse is $10.00 from March 1 – April 15. From April 16 – May 1 validation cost for each horse is $20.00. Acceptable payment includes: credit card or club/county check made payable to TEXAS A&M AGRILIFE EXTENSION SERVICE (Mail with the transfer to: Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, c/o 4-H CONNECT, 4180 State Hwy 6 S, College Station, TX 77845). There is no limit to the number of horses that can be validated.
For more information about the State Horse Show and Validation please visit the Texas A&M University Department of Animal Science – Equine Science website: (http://animalscience.tamu.edu/academics/equine/state-4h-show/).
- June 19 & 20, 2017—District 8 Horse Show at the Bell County Expo Center – Entry Fee $15 per class
- July 22 – 29, 2017—State 4-H Horse Show in Abilene